March last year, Verizon started sending email to its users stating that it would take an exit from the email business. It caused quite a ruckus because people were worried about the fate of their Verizon email. But the telecommunication company calmed down its customers by offering Verizon email migration to AOL.
Now the question is, how does AOL Verizon email works? New users will not be able to set up Verizon email, but how about the old users? This article will provide answers to all those questions, including how o migrate Verizon to AOL email and also Verizon iPhone setup.
What Are Your Options?
Verizon email users are given two options. Firstly, you can let Verizon delete your account and you can start fresh with another email service. Secondly, you can migrate to AOL and set up an AOL Verizon email. If you choose the first option, you no longer have to worry about Verizon SMTP settings, Verizon mail server settings or set up new iPhone Verizon. However, you will forever lose your data on your Verizon account.
If you choose the second option—move Verizon to AOL mail—you can keep your address, emails and all other information stored in your account. However, the address will be moved to AOL server. So, basically, you will have a Verizon email on AOL server. To do Verizon email login AOL, you have to visit AOL website or use AOL app even though your email address still uses Verizon address.
Actually, the fact that Verizon is stopping its email service is not as bad as it sounds. Verizon is not exactly known for its great email service. It is lacking in features and its security is pretty questionable. AOL, on the other hand, is more reliable even though it is not the best in the industry. So, the option to provide AOL mail for Verizon customers is actually beneficial for you. Besides, Verizon and AOL email is actually from the same company so it is not going to be a drastic change.
What If You Already Have an AOL Account?
Now, what if you already have an AOL account but you also want to migrate your Verizon email to AOL? Can you synchronize your old AOL email with the newly migrated AOL Verizon email?
Unfortunately, it is impossible to do that. If you already have an AOL email with @aol.com address, you cannot combine it with your new AOL email Verizon. This is because the AOL Verizon email will still keep the @verizon.net instead of becoming @aol.com. So, you will have two separate accounts and you cannot move the information from one account to the other.
How to Migrate to AOL
If you have decided to migrate to AOL Verizon email, the first thing you need to do is to wait until Verizon sends you an email to notify that you have to move your account. Once you have received the email, here are some steps you need to do to move to AOL.
1. Use a web browser to log in to your Verizon account.
2. You will see the instructions to migrate to AOL.
3. You have to create a new password and you cannot use your old Verizon password.
4. Enter your phone number. It is needed in case you forget your password in the future.
5. After that, you can start using your email as usual. However, instead of opening Verizon website, you have to go to mail.aol.com because you are now using AOL mail server even though your email still uses @verizon.net. You can configure the other AOL settings on this website as well.
6. If you want to use your iPhone or Android to access your AOL mail, you have to set up the verizon.net server settings and AOL email server settings on your phone first.
Setting Up Verizon AOL Email on iPhone
If you have migrated your Verizon email to AOL, let’s find out how to setup AOL Verizon email in iPhone. Actually, AOL email setup can be used for POP3 and IMAP. However, in this article, we will focus on setting up AOL Verizon email IMAP.
1. To set up Verizon email on iPhone, firstly go to Settings.
2. Choose the Mail menu.
3. Choose Accounts.
4. Tap Add Account.
5. To start configuring AOL mail settings for iPhone, choose AOL.
6. Type in your name along with the email address and password that you made when you migrate to AOL. Remember, the email address will still include @verizon.net even though you have migrated to AOL.
7. Click Next, follow the instruction and you have successfully changed Verizon email setting for iPhone to AOL.
Setting Up Verizon AOL Email in Android
Similar to AOL Verizon email setting for iPhone above, this instruction is solely for IMAP setting, which means, the emails you receive are located on the server instead of your phone storage. Here is the step by step guide to tweaking Verizon email settings for Android after you migrated to AOL email.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap Cloud and Accounts and then choose Account.
3. Click Add account.
4. Choose Personal (IMAP).
5. Type your Verizon email address and then click MANUAL SETUP.
6. Make sure to choose Personal (IMAP) and then click Next.
7. Type the password that you made during the migration process and click Next again.
8. In this step, you are required to type in some information. Please input the following information correctly:
- Username: your Verizon email address with @verizon.net.
- Password: the password you made in the migration process.
- Server: imap.aol.com.
- Port: 993
- Security type: STARTTLS.
9. After that, tap Next.
10. On the Account options, check the boxes that you want and tap Next again.
11. Type the account name and your name.
12. After you click next, you have successfully setup your Verizon AOL email settings Android.
Now that you know how to set up AOL email on iPhone and Android, you don’t have to worry about migrating from your Verizon account anymore. Migrating to AOL Verizon email is very easy. But if you encounter any Verizon AOL email problems during the migration process, you can contact AOL email help page anytime.
Incoming search terms:
- aol email settings for verizon phones