Stockport branch canal north. Stockport branch canal of the ashton canal.
The canal was just over 4 miles long with no locks.
Stockport branch canal. Its route took it through openshaw gorton debdale park and reddish to a wharf and warehouse complex at lancashire hill to the north of stockport town centre. Locally known as the lanky cut construction of the stockport branch canal was authorised by the second act of the ashton canal company 33 george iii cap. Claytonbrook road manchester m11 1ua.
The stockport branch was opened in 1797 as an afterthough to the manchester ashton under lyne and oldham canal system in order to transport coal from the collieries in the ashton and oldham area to stockport. It was opened in 1797 in order to transport coal from the collieries in the ashton and oldham area to stockport. The stockport branch canal was a 5 mile 8 km branch of the ashton canal from clayton to stockport.
From dawn to dusk. This authorised the construction of a lock free branch from between locks 10 and 11 of the ashton canal at clayton to the top of lancashire hill in stockport heaton norris via openshaw gorton abbey hey and reddish. 21 royal assent on 28 march 1793.
The stockport branch of the manchester and ashton canal now infilled ran from clayton to lancashire hill. Stockport branch canal 4 to the south of gorton bridge the gardens of new houses have been laid over the canal path with just the towpath left as a footpath. For a short way the canal route continues southwards with gorton cemetery on the right.
The stockport branch canal was a 5 miles 8 0 km branch of the ashton canal from clayton to stockport. After a quarter of a mile the municiple boundary between manchester and stockport is reached. The canal was just over 4 miles long with no locks.