The church is now closed and up for sale. The canal was about 25 miles long with a drop of about 542 feet so required 50 locks along the route.
The glamorganshire canal which ran from merthyr tydfil to cardiff was constructed between 1790 and 1794.
Glamorganshire canal map. This is a route map template for a uk waterway. A southern extension giving direct access to the bristol channel and known as. The canal was used to transport iron ore coal and limestone from the valleys to cardiff docks.
The above map shows not just the huge scale of the canal but also. Construction of the glamorganshire canal began in 1790. Glamorganshire canal is situated west of thomas town close to penydarren park.
Opened in 1794 the 25 mile glamorganshire canal ran between merthyr tydfil and cardiff. Sea pound glamorganshire canal cardiff 1921. It was created so that iron produced at the heads of the valleys could be transported south to the city docks.
It turned left before the great western hotel and passed beneath the railway. The photo shows how the glamorganshire canal sliced through the centre of cardiff on its way from merthyr tydfil to the sea. For information on using this template refer to wikipedia route diagram template.
The bottom stretch of the glamorganshire canal through cardiff was known as the sea pound and opened in 1798 as an extension to the original canal providing access for sea borne ships to wharves and other facilities. It was the last section of the canal to close in december 1951. Being watched over by the wealthy ironmasters of merthyr including richard crawshay of the cyfarthfa ironworks the canal was thought up as a solution to the issue of transporting the goods iron ore coal and limestone from the valleys to cardiff where they would be shipped around the world.
Featuring unusual terracotta arches this large and now disused church is unmissable as you travel down the hill to the local shops. In 1818 the brown lenox chain works was built next to locks 31 and 32 in pontypridd. For pictograms used see wikipedia route diagram template catalog of pictograms.
St matthews church was built in 1908 in the middle of the trallwn community not far from the glamorganshire canal as it approached pontypridd. Site description the glamorganshire canal backed by the principal ironmasters of merthyr tydfil was built to carry iron twenty five and a half miles from merthyr to the port of cardiff descending originally through 50 locks it was opened on 10 february 1794 and became the most successful canal in south wales. The glamorganshire canal began its life when construction started in 1790.
For a key to symbols see the waterways legend. The canal opened in 1794 and was a commercial success for decades but it was disused by the time this photo was taken in the 1940s. Glamorganshire canal the glamorganshire canal was a valley side canal in south wales uk running from merthyr tydfil to cardiff.
Glamorganshire canal has an elevation of 584 feet. This map shows the route the canal took.