The city of carlisle is in cumbria in north west england at a strategic transport location at the crossing of the river eden of which it was the lowest bridging point. One of the depot s a3 pacifics is stabled on the adjacent road.
The eden flows westward into the solway firth a wide body of water that forms a natural barrier transport by shipping could not be brought to carlisle due to shoaling in the solway and eden.
Carlisle canal shed. A stone built round house with a brick built 3ts dead ended shed. The lost engine sheds of carlisle canal upperby and kingmoor. Ahead the right hand route is the waverley route with the barrier which denies access to the eden viaduct visible.
The layout is set in lner days where the shed served the waverly route up to edinburgh and eastern region routes across to newcastle. General view of carlisle upperby shed 46200 92006 47295 46426 46110 45545 all visible 30 8 64. It was served from the east from canal junction splitting off the border union just after the junction.
Carlisle canal was the former north british engine shed in carlisle coded 12c under nationalisation. Feb 1950 oct 1951. The left hand fork went into carlisle canal engine shed.
Lms class 5s although not regular performers over the waverley route in the 1950s this changed in the 1960s with the closure of carlisle canal shed and use of ex lms locos from kingmoor shed. 45483 however was noted on the waverley route after its transfer to st margarets shed from dalry road in the 1960s. Carlisle canal shed a regular on the waverley route gresley k3 2 6 0 no 61916 stands in the shed yard at carlisle canal in february 1961.
Carlisle canal shed junction. This single ended shed was in the v of the junction between the border union railway and the silloth branch. Location type loco shed name and dates carlisle canal shed 1861 1963 opened on the border union railway north british railway.
Carlisle canal shed post by stembok mon mar 01 2010 6 12 pm as well as 60035 a3 60057 was also allocated to canal for a spell in the spring of 1961. Oct 1951 jan 1958. Pre grouping ownership north british railway.
On the north side of the silloth line west of canal junction.